Monday, September 13, 2010

Step Two – Silicone Anyone?

Two of the heads with one coat of silicone each
I visited 3 D Art Inc. a sculpting supply store where I purchased the oil-base clay. After finding the store that is difficult to locate and get to, I talked to Bill, one of their experts. I decided on silicone masks and foam to make my mother molds. I bought a tub of GP 25 Silicone Base and one quart of Pro Blue Silicone Catalyst and wrote down a few instructions.

My friend gave me a wonderful kitchen scale so I was able to measure with accuracy. I do not know what I would have done without it.

Here is the process for applying the latex to the clay heads:
1. Mix 1 part silicone catalyst with 10 parts GP 24 liquid silicone base. It has the consistency of honey.

2. Use a two-inch brush with bristles cut to about 1.5 inches long.

3. Paint a thin layer on the heads to protect the clay. (Silicone should be brushed on thin enough to see the clay underneath.

4. Blow with a hair dryer to make sure there are no air bubbles.

5. Clean brush with Bestine

6. Let silicone mixture set for 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment