Monday, September 13, 2010

Step Three – Making Flanges

Head with poster board pieces at the left
and a flange on the right
Bill from 3 D Art recommended a metal flange for one side and poster board for the other. The poster board needed to be waxed with paste floor wax three times on each side. Before making the flange, I needed to make a pattern. First I draped a piece of elastic string around the head from below one ear across the top to below the other ear. This is how I could keep the pattern going in a straight line with little effort. Next, I cut poster board in small, short strips and stuck them around the side of the mold, taping them together every few strips. After I finished one side that ended at the top of the head where I had put a piece of cardboard cross wise of the head to separate the two flanges, I reinforced the cardboard with wide painter’s tape. I repeated the process for the other side. To keep the flanges in place I bent wire, placed it straddle the poster board and metal then pushed them firmly into the clay.

Since the movie will be projected on the front of the heads, I want the seam to go from side to side in case the two sides do not line up perfectly.
Strips of poster board used for a pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment